That didn't work, unfortunately. However, I did stumble upon a solution which I'll add here in case anyone runs into this issue in the future and finds this thread of discussion. My solution was to go into Windows Explorer and find one of the errant files. Using the file rename option, I was able to highlight one of the control code characters. I then did a control-c to copy it to the clipboard. Going back to Agent Ransack I then, in the file name field put a * followed by a control-v to paste the character, then a second *. Agent Ransack found all of the errant files in very short order! So thank you for pointing me in the general direction.